PRIDE Art Workshop with The Dapper Hammer & Kim Shaw Art!
June 21, 2023
The Dapper Hammer
This month’s theme is PRIDE!!
In honor of pride month we will be using wood and mixed media to create art that speaks to 2-SLGBTQIA+ pride and identity. This class will provide a woodworking & art making experience through an expressive art therapy lens – centering CELEBRATION AND PLAY.
You will spend part of the class with Dell in the shop creating the wooden aspect of your project, and part of the time with Kim focusing on the mixed-media art component of your project.
We’re saving the specifics of the project as a surprise, but what we can say is there is freedom to make the project your own:
- You may choose to amplify and center the voices of those who lift us up. Those who have come before to make safe spaces and fight for basic human rights — and those who continue the work today! Who has inspired you? To name a few that have inspired us: Marsha P. Johnson, James Baldwin, Freddie Mercury, Andrea Gibson, Brandi Carlile, Keith Haring, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and Laverne Cox!
- You may choose to create a piece of protest art — using messaging and symbols to make a powerful statement about identity, equity, justice, etc.
- You may choose to create a deeply personal piece that represents your own identity.
What is Mixed Media Art?
Mixed media art refers to a visual art form that combines a variety of media in a single artwork. For example, you could draw with ink, then paint over it with watercolors, then add some highlights in colored pencil.
If you just feel like painting you can totally do that! Kim will have acrylics, gouche, and watercolors available. Painting is Kim’s jam and she happy to give you one-on-one support in this exploration. More than anything this workshop is a safe space to try things and connect with other creative hearts.
All materials will be provided and no experience is necessary!
Date: June 21, 2023
Cost: $75; beer, wine, coffee, water, and snacks provided.
Classes are held at The Dapper Hammer Workshop, which is a large, open, well ventilated space. As of May 1, 2022 The Dapper Hammer has moved to a mask optional policy.
- Upon arrival, please complete a waiver before class begins
- Please wear closed-toed shoes
- Avoid wearing clothing with long ties (ie no hoodie strings)
- Any long hair should be tied/clipped back
- Sanitized eye and ear protection will be provided